Author Topic: ::March 5, 2018:: Turn to Stone  (Read 71 times)

Seth

• DH- CO OWNER
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
::March 5, 2018:: Turn to Stone
« on: March 05, 2018, 05:14:00 pm »
|-Broken Again-|
Trevor
Novice Vampire
Dragon Bloodline
DH | RPO - Room Staff
[Other location in Orlando]
{-Is in another location in Orlando-}
says to Everyone:

Trevor’s hand shook when he slid the fourth dagger into its sheath on the knife belt strapped diagonally across his chest. His lips pressed into a white slash of annoyance and he tugged at the belt as if it was the leather’s fault. He took a deep breath, held it in for a moment, profanity collecting silently in his head, and rubbed his brow as if warding off a headache that wasn’t there. An exaggerated flex of the fingers on both hands, a heavy sigh, and then the fifth and final dagger was in the belt.

The guns were next. They weren’t a matching set, but he’d lifted them from victims -one a petty thug and another a security guard- so he could hardly have expected the previous owners to be carrying identical hardware. He figured the bullets he’d collected wouldn’t mind, and so neither would he.

Knives gathered. Guns loaded and holstered. He looked toward the coat and grimaced. A long coat to cover the weapons made practical sense, but he hated the connections it would have, the assumptions it came loaded with. He despised the ideas some slow-minded reporter would likely have about his intentions, his reasons, the excuses the law and the media would make. It stopped him momentarily, but in the end he rationalized that he’d survive it. He’d have a chance to set it all right. He was tired of the wrong voices always being heard, the loud majority grabbing attention and all the victories.

Coat and boots on, he checked his body in the mirror from various angles to assure himself that the weapons were hidden well enough. No give aways, no obvious bulges, no barrels in view, both ammo and knife belt concealed.

Then he looked at his face in the mirror.

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt. A stranger in strange clothes with no smile, shaking lower lip, trembling hands with no real gun training outside of a few stray shots and shooting ranges. He gritted his teeth together to focus on the anger, the hate, but watched a tear fall from one of his wet eyes and heard a sound come out of his mouth that wasn’t in any language but spoke to every ear with a message. The wrong message.

So he grabbed the black ski mask and pulled it on. His face was gone. Wet eyes didn’t betray him. The mask looked ready. The weapons and the armor were ready. He was ready.

Trevor left the deserted rest room he’d scouted several nights in advance and moved toward the target. All of the targets.

|-Broken Again-|
Trevor
Novice Vampire
Dragon Bloodline
DH | RPO - Room Staff
says to Everyone:

Trevor walked the dark back alleys just like he’d done in the three weeks of nights leading up to this one. It was all part of the greater plan, and he had to make sure it went down that way. He’d picked these alleys carefully, after choosing the target with even greater scrutiny than his path to it. He’d walked these alleys, always checking against the unexpected, watching and noting every pattern in the lives of those who passed through and near. These were empty alleys in a lonely city. Dead passages inside a labyrinth of dead people.

It was difficult to understand that if you weren’t paying attention, if you gave in to the illusion, if you were as desperate as the rest of them for it all to mean something.

The sounds of the city were everywhere, a cacophony of delusion with no sense of direction. Your mind plays tricks on you if you let it.
As he walked the streets, Trevor fought to keep his focus on the goal ahead. He ignored the sirens that hinted of a desperate authority figure trying to save something that’s beyond saving, the soft sounds that gave away to vampire ears what must have been a cat stalking about overhead, the mix of music heard from various venues that exchanged leads just slightly along the way, someone yelling for attention, another of anger at a break up, another moaning with lust. A secret city revealed to vampire ears, and yet tonight that door he knew was just a couple dozen feet ahead was all that earned his attention, was the only story of any value to the young, novice vampire wrapped in leather, violence and pent up rage.
Trevor turned the corner and the alley opened up into the wider section that was the back alley of his target, the rusted edged of its emergency fire exit door now in sight. He took a deep breath, let it out in a slow soft hush of words that he summoned to urge himself forward. To get it done. “Come on Trevor… You’re ready. Do this… Do it now.”

“You’re not at all what I was expecting, for real though.”

The male voice came from behind and slightly above him, and that put everything back into the here and now.

|-Broken Again-|
Trevor
Novice Vampire
Dragon Bloodline
DH | RPO - Room Staff
says to Everyone:

Trevor turned to face the voice with such speed and adrenaline that he could have dodged a bullet that had already been fired. His stance was wide, arms spread, eyes dilated. His skin tingled, and though he needed no oxygen the sensation of being entirely devoid of breath lingered with him from a past life. For a moment he was disoriented, even dizzy, his body tingled and only in the last did his thoughts go to his knives, his guns.

But the intruder didn’t have a gun, and their stance was anything but combat-ready. The man looked to be in his mid twenties but Trevor’s senses, heightened by the fight-or-flight of the suddenness of it, could tell the figure was another vampire, and that this other vampire was older than himself. They didn’t hold a weapon, but a three quarters emptied bottle of vodka swung from two fingers and a thumb of one hand.
The stranger had wild hair; black roots for the first inch near the skull, but just about a foot more of his locks were all platinum blonde with neon blue tips and were spiked and woven in and through one another in such a way that to Trevor they resembled the rising flames of a white-hot fire. A light gray wool scarf spiraled up his neck to reach his chin from a charcoal grey gothic-styled front strap vest with criss-crossing hemp straps that ran back and forth up the center, laced through thick bronze metal hoops. Beneath the elaborate vest clung a form-hugging long-sleeved fishnet shirt; his pants were dark grey and from dozens of hoops, zippers and pockets haphazardly sown into them hung long lengths of thin silver chain that spiraled around his legs where he wanted them to, and drew back around or hung loose where he preferred.The irises of both his eyes were a strange white, though Trevor could tell they were contacts. Heavy black and silver boots hung unlaced from his feet, just over the edge as he reclined casually on the open ledge from where he regarded Trevor with a scrutinizing, cocky smile.

Trevor was as caught off-guard by the man’s appearance as he was his unexpected presence. As the younger vampire tried to catch up with what was happening, taking it all in, he barely managed a weak “What?”

“I said, I wasn’t expecting this,” the stranger gestured vaguely at Trevor. “Dip out for bottle, grab some quiet in the back, catch signals of a hyped up vamp, get curious cause I know that blood and then, well… tada… strange vamp in a ski mask. Raises questions, and then probably more questions. You said your name is Trevor huh?”

|-Broken Again-|
Trevor
Novice Vampire
Dragon Bloodline
DH | RPO - Room Staff
[Alley]
{ -Is in the Darken Alley-}
says to Everyone:

Trevor swallowed. Damn. “Uh…Why?”

The stranger chuckled, gave another winning smile and managed to sip some vodka through it. “What and why, two of the W’s already. Impressive stuff, for real. I thought you were Tyler, to be level with you. True, I should have expected he’d be a whole lot of a bigger whammy than you’re letting loose, but to be real with you? I’m getting a lot more Tyler from you than the guy playing face in front of the cameras. Weird how a little authority can wreck a guy, take him from teeth to talk.” He looked Trevor over as he downed another shot, tapped the backs of his boots against the wall below him. “You’re his then, yeah? New baby vamp of the big guy?”

Trevor gritted his teeth. “I’m not a baby.”

The stranger smiled all the more, but nodded. “Yeah brother, sorry. I hated that bullshit back in my time too. Though you gotta give it up that lurking back alleys and storming around town in a ski mask don’t exactly send a message of deep and deliberate self-awareness. Are those really guns at your waist?”

|-Broken Again-|
Trevor
Novice Vampire
Dragon Bloodline
DH | RPO - Room Staff
[Alley]
says to Everyone:

Trevor’s mind was racing, trying to find a thread to grab, a path toward reason. A way out and, unexpectedly, a way in. His thoughts were leap-frogging all over the place, as much priority being given to ridding his night of the intruder as he felt about seeking affirmation. He was on the right path. If he had to send a message strong enough to change a city, surely he had what it took to sway a peacock-looking gothic punk who looked about his own age (ignoring the energy difference between them, and what Trevor might later admit felt like a remarkable gap between their true time spent walking the world).

“I’m wearing the mask cause I need it for what I plan to do. And yeah, these are guns.” Trevor’s first words helped him overcome the initial surprise. His posture strengthened, he tilted his head back a bit and met the other vampire’s eyes. “This city needs a few less talkers, a lot more teeth, so how about we leave off before I pull a couple triggers and send a message in your direction?”

The stranger measured Trevor a moment, nodded a bit, raised the bottle to down more vodka. “Ok brother, hold up a second for me okay?” He pulled himself forward and dropped slowly down from the ledge, now on the ground in the same wide alley as Trevor. “That message of yours sounds important. And those guns sound like we can have a bit of fun. So go for it…” He took several steps toward Trevor who quickly moved a hand under his coat to touch the handle of a gun. Now they were just a couple paces apart. “Level that barrel at my forehead, pull its trigger, and splatter my brain all over the wall behind me. I won’t stop you… sounds like a real blast. Send that message of yours in brains and blood, for real though.”

|-Broken Again-|
Trevor
Novice Vampire
Dragon Bloodline
DH | RPO - Room Staff
[Alley]
says to Everyone:

For a moment, Trevor just stared at the other vampire. They were both still, quiet, and only when the stranger lifted the vodka to his lips to casually take another drink was Trevor driven to pull the gun, draw back the hammer, and point it directly at the stranger’s forehead.

The strangers face seemed to light up, excitement in his eyes, a playful grin on his lips. He straightened up as if presenting himself an easy target, and moved both hands behind him (Trevor momentarily wondered if he was trying to put his body between the gun and the bottle of vodka). “So do I get to see the face of the messenger, or are we all secrets and mystery today?”

Trevor swallowed. “See my face?” The stranger nodded. Trevor’s mouth opened, but nothing came out at first. He felt a flutter in his stomach, his chest tightened. He poked his tongue into his cheek as he thought: was this vampire able to survive his head getting blown off? Could they do that? His mind raced for answers, and he hoped for any interruption to avoid answers he couldn’t summon, and answers he didn’t like. “I’m going to shoot you. In the head.”

“Yeah brother. We’ve established that. Make your own kinda music, man. Boom! Brains! For real though.”

|-Broken Again-|
Trevor
Novice Vampire
Dragon Bloodline
DH | RPO - Room Staff
[Alley]
says to
to Everyone:

The guy’s reaction was dumb. So stupid it felt to Trevor like blatant disrespect and he suddenly couldn’t think of anything he’d like to do more than to just shoot that smile away. Those fake white eyes, stupid perfect teeth, get the asshole’s own gore all over his ridiculous digs. The message would read that Trevor was serious; that the perfect lie of passivity and delusions of peace could so easily be shattered for human and vampire both, the truth written in violence, blood, brain and bone all over the walls that so tenuously hold the city up. He looked down the barrel like he’d done before, felt the pressure of his finger on the trigger, saw his target.

Trevor saw the face of some guy. A stranger in strange clothes with a smile.

He moved his head, shifted his gaze a little away from the gun, no longer looking down the barrel though he kept it leveled at the other vampire’s forehead. “Who are you?”

“Oh sure, I don’t get to see your face but you get my whole life story? Bum deal, for real.”

“Shut up! Your name. Now!” Trevor’s head moved back, looking down the barrel again.

“Lighten up, brother. It’s Sepher.”

The arm holding the gun dropped slowly, without Trevor even being aware. He was suddenly holding a breath he didn’t need, and yet it felt like there was no oxygen left in the alley. Trevor’s other arm went to his stomach and he locked eyes with the stranger - with Sepher. Gun hanging limply from a hand at his side, he held so still he may have been instantly turned to stone. His voice was quiet, desperate, when it finally came. “You knew Nathan...”

Sepher glanced to a side, then back at Trevor. “Yeah.”

Trevor couldn’t stand. His legs gave way and he fell back to a sitting position, one leg bent in front of him. He released the gun, reached up and pulled the ski mask up and away from his face. He made a low sound as he drew in a desperate breath, felt everything rise in him and pour out through his eyes in streams he couldn’t stop. Here was a lifeline. A connection to what was, a promise that things might start making some sense. It was equally liberating and terrifying to have a window through the wall of his own meticulous design. This witness of an unrecorded past was like a lifting of a veil that few people dared even talk about and Trevor had so, so many questions.

Sepher moved to him, lowered himself to the ground to sit cross-legged directly in front of him. He held the bottle out to Trevor who, after a moment of finding himself, downed most of what was left. He moved a hand to the younger vampire’s shaking shoulders, gave a gentle comforting pat, then accepted the vodka back and drank the last two shots from the bottle in one go. A long moment of silence passed, only broken at times by quiet sobs, and finally Sepher spoke.
“So… Trevor…uh… who’s this ‘Nathan’ exactly?”
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:37:35 pm by Seth »